Monday, June 22, 2009

Longmont to Dubois ride report










What a glorious day! Left at 0700 for Dubois. The weather was perfect and the ride through Rocky Mountain NP was beautiful. Took lots of pics. Everything exceeded expectations. Arrived at Dubois at 8:30. Pitching tents in the dark was a challenge, but got it done.




From the start:

We rolled out of Longmont and stopped for breakfast in Loveland. Lee (Max) wasted no time hitting on the cute little waitress. All fueled up on eggs and bacon, bikes packed like Beverly Hillbillies on two wheels, we checked in to Rocky Mountain NP and began climbing through the twisties to 13,000 feet, stopping for numerous pictures. I got off the bike and walked a couple of trails to get the best angles. Walking or climbing at three miles high, is tough for seasoned hikers half my age. Although I was out of breath, I got some breathtaking shots of the Arctic Tundra.

Rte 125 Granby to Walden: This stretch of open prairie is flanked by Rocky mountains on the west and the east. It is a road to be enjoyed for it's riding as well as its viewing. It was impossible not to push the envelope on this road, scraping floorboards through the long sweeping high-speed turns, while also taking in the scenery. Funny thing is you put two guys on similar motorcycles, add a challenging road, mix in a little adrenalin, and ... well... you know the rest of the story. We ended up in Walden a little ahead of schedule.

Leaving Walden after lunch, rte 125 becomes a long straight road for a while. I was riding in the lead, and noticed that Max was no longer in my mirrors. Backtracking to find him, I crested a hill and there he was by the side of the road, with a cruiser parked behind him with the blue lights on. I'm no fool, so I continued without stopping, but noticed that the trooper was a young female. You're on your own with this one Max old buddy! I proceeded over the next hill and passed them again, pulling over well up the road to await the news. After a while Max rejoined me on the road and took the lead for a while. Neither of us wanted to stop to exchange stories just yet. I did notice that his throttle hand became considerably weaker for the rest of the ride north out of Colorado. No more fun and games for a while. I later found out that no ticket was issued.

Rte 125 ran into 130 and 230 to 26 toward the Tetons and the Dubois KOA . The tent site is without the necessary utilities to do the proper photo editing details on my computer, so I'll add them to this post when I get to a site better suited to the job.

Tomorrow we leave for the next leg which will take us through the Teton NP, Yellowstone NP. Chief Joseph Highway, Beartooth Pass, ending the day at Big Timber, MT. I'll try to get a cabin instead of a tent site so I will have use of a desk and decent lighting to organize the pictures and insert them into the posts. Tomorrow will be a very photogenic day, so many pictures will be posted, as well as the set I took today.

Dave

5 comments:

  1. It's like I was there. I wish I had Max's skill when it comes to the fillies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hoorah paps! Sounds like it was georgeous and fun all at the same time. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It aint skill Smitty. Just dumb luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This day was sublime!! After a month of unprecedented rainy and gloomy weather the sky suddenly broke to blue upon Dave's arrival! We headed out on schedule despite Dave's previous two day's super human ride. For me the day started with a couple of electrical issues that happened at the same time but were baffling as they had no apparent correlation.

    Some quick troubleshooting after breakfast revealed a bad fuse in the GPS power line and a unrelated faulty fuel level sending unit. Fixed the fuse but the sending unit will have to wait for the return home. Thanks to my brother Lyman for getting us the info on the trouble code and also numerous posts and accounts via email and phone of the RoadStars having this issue with the sending unit. At least it eased my mind that the flashing light was not something more serious.

    Then followed ride through RMP . After that a much needed chance to open the bikes up as we neared Walden. By all accounts I was running at a conservative pace when I saw the Trooper pull a u turn he passed us. I pulled right over hoping he would choose me and let Dave go as he had not seen him yet- she did.

    As the trooper approached I noticed "he" was indeed a "she", and attractive lady at that. My first order of business was to inform her that I am a concealed handgun permit holder and was carrying my sidearm. She then asked where it was and I point from chest level to my waist band, right side. She took notice but seemed unconcerned. From that point on I kept my demeanor very matter of fact, contrite, respectful and asked permission to reach for paperwork and dismount etc. Each time I did something I simple said: "Is it OK if I....." 79 in a 55 she informed as I expressed surprise. I felt sure I was getting a ticket knowing the reputation of the Colorado State Troopers. I did mention to her that I had not had a ticket in fifteen years. Moments later she return my paperwork and said she "cutting me a break....." I was relieved and very much surprise. She gave me her card and off I went. I was cautious the rest of the way out of Colorado out of respect for her kindness....needless to say once we hit the Wyoming border it way back to business.......

    The day ended with pitching tents in the dark and frost on the bikes by morning. Neither of us got much sleep and I broke out of bed making a sweet pot of my special coffee before daybreak.Dave was pleased. A hot shower and I was back in the pink and we were back on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good report Max. I just read it now. ARE YOU SURE YOU WEREN'T HITTING ON HER?

    ReplyDelete