Wednesday, June 10, 2009

First Leg - From Home to Colorado - Sched 6/20-6/21

(Click to Enlarge)
Start 5:00AM June 20 2009 - Finish Approx. 5:00 PM June 21 - 2,027 miles in 36 hours

This will take us from Nashua, New Hampshire to Longmont, Colorado.

Main waypoints:
  • I-90 to Lee Mass Service Plaza
  • I-90 to Chittenango, NY Service Plaza
  • I-90 to Clarence, NY Service Plaza
  • I-90 to PA exit 3 for fuel
  • I-80 to Erie Islands, OH Service Plaza
  • I-80 to Ohio Exit 34 for fuel
  • I-80 to Wibur Shaw Service Plaza Indiana
  • I-80 to IL exit 56 for fuel
  • I-80 to Iowa exit 246 fuel stop
  • I-80 to Iowa exit 93 Conoco
  • I-80 to Nebraska exit 405 Phillips 66
  • I-80 to Nebraska exit 272 fuel stop
  • I-80 to Nebraska exit 126 fuel
  • I-80 to Wyoming Exit 115 Conoco
  • I-25 to Longmont, CO
  • Local roads to Lee Sutherburg's "Mad Max"(Maxair Engineering).

OK, I know, I promised to make this an event with no creature comforts, taking in an unfiltered perspective of the view and the elements. I also know that 2027 miles in a day and a half is a lot of miles in a very short time (kids, don't try this yourselves). However, the focal point of this ride is to get to the rugged West through the Rockies to Alaska, stopping to smell the roses and take a lot of pictures to share. Something about a promise of a hot shower, comfortable bed, a good cigar and a chance to ride with an old friend into the real part of the journey changed my perspective. There will be plenty of time later to rough it. First, let's get there. After all, I-90 and I-80 aren't exactly on any one's list of favorite scenic by-ways anyway.

Seriously though, I'll be welcoming the companionship as we leave the plains and begin our climb into the Rocky Mountain National Park. Watch for the live tracking on June 20, and the posted pictures each evening beginning on June 21.

Lee, you'd better rest up. We're going to ride!

Obviously, the story behind this particular segment of the trip is more about the physical challenge and its test of human endurance. This type of ride profile should not be taken lightly, and should only be taken if similar endurance rides have been accomplished in the past. Anyone else thinking of doing thousands of miles in one long stretch should first spend time researching the subject. Point your search engine at Iron Butt Association, Long distance riders, LDR, and spend time reading and following the advice and suggestions.

"Be sure you're right, then go ahead" - Davey Crockett

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to riding with you again !!!

    I'll have the fire burning, good cigars and some wiskey waiting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lee. Also, thanks for the Blog tip. I fugured out how to make links open in their own window, and I thumbnailed the map segments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks like a definite go for Saturday at 5AM Estern time. Rain is in the forecast starting out, but clear skies and warmer weather should predominate through the plains on Sunday, and the Rockies on Monday.

    Just a few minor glitches need to be worked out regarding the communication system, and a few tweaks in the agenda are being made today.

    I'm totally looking forward to hitting the road!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a bird! It's a plane!!............ No it's Dave Benson getting high off this funky yellow sun!

    Ride Capatin Ride!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete