Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Leg Eight - Whitehorse, YT to Glennallen, AK

(Click to Enlarge)

This nice little Sunday ride will take us back into the US. After passing through Beaver Creek, Yukon on Canadian Rte 2, we will enter Alaska heading northwest on A2 to Tok.

After flogging this tired old body and my reliable Stratoliner for over a week, I expect the emotions will run the gamut from the relief and excitement of finally crossing into Alaska, and another emotion familiar to many long-distance riders - the extreme melancholia that sets in when the one of the ride's major objectives has been met. The challenge at that point will be to maintain the focus on the road ahead. I don't know, but maybe the prospect of Anchorage and a day of casual shopping for supplies, dining at an actual restaurant, calling home, and updating my log will push me through this.

One thing is certain. Whenever I get to Anchorage, I'm treating myself to a day without clocks, calendars, agendas, mile markers or many other artifacts of the long-distance rider.

No comments:

Post a Comment