Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wed Jul 1 Report

No riding today except for local errands, shopping, etc. Still at Anchorage campsite behind Anchorage House of Harley. Tomorrow, I will start moving north through Fairbanks and in position to attack the Dalton Highway (Haul Road) to the Arctic Circle, the Brooks Range, and hopefully Prudhoe Bay.

Quick Points:

  • There seems to be a conspiracy of gremlins on this trip. The com system still won't let me hear the PS or MP3. I've figured out that it is a problem with the headset. I have traced power all the way to the StarCom unit and I have 12v entering the box. The pilot light on unit wont light. The unit is not on unless it senses that helmet set 1 is plugged in. It is and it still won't power up. The heated vest is still dead, but I've replaced it with a Gerbing jacket liner and related heated gloves.
  • The Metzeler rear tire was scrubbed clear down to the metal cord, while the front tire is mint. I guess I should slow down on the sharp gravelly roads. The rubber doesn't handle heavy throttle on such an abrasive surface. Fact is I was riding through the night last night on steel chord. Luckily I didn't blow the tire.
  • Speaking of throttle, I was stopped by an officer Monday night in Palmer on the way to Anchorage. Turns out he grew up in Unity, NH. No ticket.
  • From here out, there is no agenda, and most places won't have Internet or cell service, so periods of time without a message isn't going to be cause for concern.

Going to get some more sleep and out of here early tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment