Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Monday July 6

Yesterday (Sunday) was another rest day. I needed every bit of it after the punishment handed to me by the Dalton Highway. I was also a tiny bit depressed about falling short of my plans of reaching Prudhoe Bay, so I needed to do the one thing that cures the blues for me. I needed to ride some more.

Today, I took my time getting ready to leave the campground at Anchorage. I left my camping gear behind and travelled light, carrying only my camera and emergency essentials such as tool kit, phone, laptop, and only half of my wits. Today was going to be a leisurely ride to Homer at the tip of the Kenai Peninsula.

The ride starts south from Anchorage on the Seward Highway. After leaving Anchorage, the road runs for many miles along the east bank of the Cooke Inlet. The Kenai peninsula could be seen across the inlet, and the view of the white capped mountains of the peninsula is absolutely spectacular. You'll have to trust me on this or look at a postcard or something, because there was so much smoke and fog over the inlet that any pictures would be rather sucky. I took a few anyway, but they are washed out and disappointing. It didn't matter. The view I had of the mountains and the way the road twisted to follow the shoreline was exactly enough to pick me back up. I guess I'll have to make a return trip when the weather gets better. The source of the visibility problems stem from the fact that there are several forest fires burning in the interior of the state and the winds have been from the north pushing the smoke south. The forecast is for more of the same for several more days.

Since Homer is known for its fishing industry, I stopped for the obligatory plate of fish and chips before heading back to Anchorage where my tent and sleeping bag awaited me. I got back at about 11:00 and will be asleep withing minutes of logging off this computer.

Tomorrow, I'll be shipping home a few more unessential items, and will start on the road home. I'll continue to file daily reports.

5 comments:

  1. Falling short of a goal is relative as there are many steps to the goal that are part of it. Take solace that you're in the moment (on a motorcycle), something few of us get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Smitty. Funny thing is that as soon as I returned to Anchorage and checked my voice mail, I got a message that my wallet had been found. It's being mailed home. In any case, I wouldn't have been able to go further north without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you realize that your wallet was found and that Penny Dean is trying to reach you with contact info?

    Suzanne

    sewnh@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. we will get your wallet back to you.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes LUCIE, I got Penny's voice mail and called the number she gave me. Good thing Penny has nice bright pink business cards that stand out! I contacted the truck stop that found it and it is being mailed home. The only loss is that it shortened my trip north, since I had to turn back at Coldfoot. Otherwise, I would have gone another 86 miles to Gallbraith Lake in Atigun Pass. The view from there would have been beautiful.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete